November 20, 2009

She kept saying, "But if you have any suggestions at all...so easy to change...lots of other scenes that just cry out to be illustrated." I didn't know how often she let art directors fling her last-minute jobs with too-tight deadlines, or how often they wanted changes, partly because Lolly was so over-eager to oblige. But as I listened to her, I felt vaguely exasperated by her girlish attitude toward her work, and I thought suddenly, She should never have lost her amateur standing. I remembered a literary agent saying about a mutual acquaintance of ours who had brought him a manuscript, "She's too nice and good-natured to be a real writer." The same thing was true of Lolly. Her small pleasant talent, with no integral drive behind it, no pivoal core of self-center-- I was frankly astonished that it had ever got her so far from home.

-- from A Growing Wonder (1957)

No comments:

Post a Comment