November 7, 2009

As a writer...

As a writer, I'm procrastinating and moody, with the added disadvantage that I have to think, or at least some editors expect me to think, which is equally debilitating. I am also hogtied by knowing at least a few of the rudiments and hazards of my profession, so I'm continually stuck with such artistic problems as "If the magazine said they want a thousand words, will they count 'a' and 'the'? And if I switch the first paragraph to the end and the last paragraph to the middle and the middle to the first, will that improve the story line?" But as an amateur painter, I merely keep going till the paper is covered with color. During the entire process-- about twenty minutes for a painting-- my most serious problem is: "Shall I wash the brush or make the dog purple, too?"

-- from "Look! I'm Framed" (1949)

No comments:

Post a Comment