September 19, 2009

I am also a little weary of explaining to people that even though my name is Dutch and I was born in Pennsylvania, that doesn't make me Pennsylvania Dutch, by a long shot. Up in Western Pennsylvania we have none of those fast and loose phrases such as "The pie is all" and "Papa goes already yet." It's true that we talk of "redding up the room," meaning to empty ash trays, pick up the newspapers, and flick a dust cloth over the most noticeable pieces of furniture. When I came to New York years ago, this phrase was soon knocked out of me, but I've regretted it ever since. How else can you say so much for so little? Besides, to "tidy up a room" sounds prissy, and "to clean a room" implies more than I am prepared to give. The Dutch who scour all surfaces with sand are not my branch of the family. Therefore, even though I may not say it out loud, I still redd up.

--from We Shook the Family Tree (1946)

No comments:

Post a Comment